Mr. Bikram Dasgupta is currently the Founder and Executive Chairman, Globsyn Group, with interests in Education, Information Technology and Skill development.
An alumnus of Harvard Business School and Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, Mr. Bikram Dasgupta is among the early pioneers of the Indian Information Technology Industry and has witnessed the emergence of the Indian IT Industry from garage start-ups to billion dollar behemoths.
The emergence of Indian Information Technology industry saw the birth of a generation of first time entrepreneurs – entrepreneurs with no family history of business enterprise. This generation was marked by their ambition and fierce determination to change the order of things. They innovated, they disrupted and they brought in new rules into the game. They lived by their instincts.
Mr. Dasgupta’s entrepreneurial journey is a story of this change. A story defined by its quintessential highs and lows, of dreams, of daring to think beyond the ordinary and an insatiable appetite for risk taking.
As Mr. Bikram Dasgupta transits from a momentous and frenzied phase of his life and embarks upon a new journey in his life, he is driven by an aspiration to plough back to society and community his life’s experience; to arm a new generation of entrepreneurs and youth with the value systems that go behind creating full-filling life stories through his start-up venture BDG Global Private Limited.
Disrupters & Game Changers
- Alumnus of Harvard Business School, USA and IIT – Kharagpur, India
- HCL (1980-84): Commenced his career as one of the key Market Development Managers of HCL, during its infancy and played a sterling role in establishing the market presence that HCL commands today. HCL is a $6 billion enterprise
- PCL (1984-94): Whetted his formative entrepreneurial zeal by promoting Pertech Computers Limited (PCL)
- Took a leading role in managing diverse functions and catapulted PCL to the position of the No.1 PC player in India
- Pioneered the concept of Intelligent Buildings for IT in India in the form of Infinity – IT Park in 1996. Formed and pioneered the roadmap for IT parks in India
- Make in India: Single-handedly won the single largest (US$ 50 million) export manufacturing contract from Dell Computer, USA, for computer motherboards, which is still rated as the largest single contract in the computer hardware industry. Set up India’s first motherboard manufacturing unit and ramped it up to 10,000 motherboards/month production in 1994
- Conceptualized Globsyn in 1997 as a group of companies, which embodies a business model built around the fundamental concepts of Knowledge, Skills, Technology and Innoventures for the knowledge economy
- Pioneered the concept of Knowledge Finishing Schools in India and set up India’s first Software Finishing School in 1997
- Set up India’s first Corporate B-School in India – Globsyn Business School in 2002, which is CRISIL A** Rated and AICTE Approved
- Set up India’s first integrated BPO Training institute, in 2004, in the form of BPO Academy
- Acquired a listed software company, Synergy Log-In Systems Limited in 2006 and increased Globsyn’s technology footprint across India, USA, Europe, Middle East and the Far East
- Created India’s first ‘Work Habitat’ in 2008 in the form of Globsyn Crystals, bringing Life and Work together
- Pioneered the first dedicated institute for family business owners in the form of Asian Institute of Family Business in 2009
- Set up Globsyn Skills in 2010, a Joint Venture between National Skill Development Corporation and Globsyn. Slated to train 1 Million youth over a period of 10 years, with a pan India operation
- Promulgated the coalesce of Education and Skills in 2014 with the launch of Globsyn EduSkills, which envisions to merge relevant and practical education and qualitatively good skills, interwoven with technology to make the youth of the country industry-ready
- Launched India’s first virtual employment exchange platform, SkillsXchange in 2015, which connects skilled resources from management, technology and other industries with relevant jobs
- Set up KnowledgePub, the first co-working space in Kolkata, which caters to the requirements of the growing startup community
- Early stage/Accelerator/Investor to new-gen startups and set up an incubation center, Startup Café to promote the ideas of young entrepreneurs
- Currently engaged in creating a multi-dimensionary approach to helping the younger generation to transit to the new ‘convergence-technology’ driven societal environment where the real and the virtual world comes together in never before combinations; driving a new chapter in the human evolutionary cycle
- Brand/Global Strategic Advisor for growing new-gen companies
- Public Speaker/Keynote Speaker on Entrepreneurship and Leadership
- Industry Connects: Past President - TiE (Kolkata Chapter); Member - Executive Council – Indian Chamber of Commerce; Member – Eastern Region Council, NASSCOM; Member – Executive Committee, Eastern Region, Confederation of Indian Industry; Member – National Skills Council, Confederation of Indian Industry; Member – National Committee, Integrity and Transparency in Governance, Confederation of Indian Industry
- Former World Bank International Expert Advisor – IT/ITeS for Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, Government of Bangladesh